Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pumpkin Bisque....I'm a baaaad mommy, lol!


So the other day I did something well.....some would say it was a bit cruel, I say it was delicious! My husband purchased a pumpkin for my children for Halloween, my 5 year old very excitedly said, "Heah are we going to carve that?" My immediate response was "No, we're going to cook it!" Yes, I know the stuff nightmares are made of. At any rate I had been saving a recipe for baked pumpkin for a long time, but because I live in a home with squash haters, I needed to take it up a notch, i.e, they were not going to eat baked squash. First, I cut the top of the approx. 3 lb gourd off and cleaned the inside. I then added, 1 quart of cream, I used fat free but full fat would have definitely been better, I then added about 4 tablespoons of butter, 3 cloves garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, all to my tastes scant 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I then popped the top back on placed it in a baking dish and roasted the recovering jack-o-lantern for 2.5- 3 hours on 375.

After baking I removed the gourd, and added the liquid and the flesh to a blender and blended till smooth. I adjusted the seasoning with salt, cayenne and nutmeg to my taste, delicious.....I don't think the children will hold it against me. By the way if I wasn't on a diet, I would have garnished with just a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprig of thyme.

Bon Appetit!

Ingredients
1 2-3 pound pumpkin
1 quart cream or half and half
3 cloves garlic
4 Tablespoons garlic
salt
pepper
thyme
nutmeg
cayenne

No comments: